If you are thinking of losing weight, to change your body for the better, to control your diabetes, to go on a diet, you can choose keto diet. It is one of the most popular methods today to lose weight and to transform your body.
Before diving into the diet plan, you need to understand what exactly it is. Here in this article you will find out what to eat during a keto diet and what to avoid, what diet plan you should follow in order to achieve change in yourself.
What is a keto diet?
A keto diet is a high-protein, high-fat and low-carb diet plan which is an excellent way to lose weight. It involves 75% fat, 20% protein and only 5% carb. As the carbohydrate intake is reduced to a very low level, your body starts using fat for energy. It is also a great way to control diabetes as keto diet helps to reduce blood sugar and insulin levels.
Why to go on a Keto diet?
There are several benefits of a keto diet. If you want to be healthy, then keto diet is an amazing option. The health benefits of a keto diet are-
- For losing weight, keto diet is an effective way. Several studies have proved that people who choose keto diet plan lose weight far more easily than other diet plans. The best thing is you do not need to worry about your food intake nor you have to stay hungry all the time while eating tasteless food. During the keto diet, fat is used as energy. The body starts turning fat into ketones which supply energy or your body.
- Although researchers are still studying the effects of keto diet on diabetic patients, it can help to control diabetes. Those who have high blood sugar and require less insulin can benefit from the keto genic diet. It is very helpful with patients of type 2 diabetes. For people with type 1 diabetes, it helps to reduce their A1C levels.
- A keto diet reduces fat, high cholesterol, blood sugar which helps in reducing the chances of heart diseases.
- A keto diet helps to fight cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s, etc. These are some life threatening diseases and if you can fight them with a change of diet, why not choose it.
- Everyone wants a clear face with no dark spots and healthy skin. A keto diet which involves healthy food items only helps to improve acne.
What involves a keto-diet?
Now, you are aware of the keto diet and its several benefits. But question arises that what you should eat. Well, here is a list. This is a list of the items which you should include in your diet plan.
- Pastured, organic eggs are the best choice for your keto genic diet.
- Meat and fish like venison, pork, bison, grass-fed beef, organ meats and mackerel, salmon and herring in fatty fish choices are best.
- Dairy products- yogurt, butter, and cream.
- Cheese- Full- fate cheese like mozzarella, cheddar, cream cheese, brie and goat cheese are good.
- Chicken and turkey in poultry.
- Fats and butter- fats like olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, avocado oil, etc. Nut butters like cashew butter, almond butter and natural peanut butter should also be included.
- Nuts and seeds like almond, walnuts, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, Macadamia nuts, etc.
- Condiments like salt, pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, spices and fresh herbs.
- Avocados are a must for a keto diet.
- Vegetables like tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, green vegetables, bell peppers.
There are some food items though, which you should avoid, especially unhealthy food like packaged and processed food and meat, corn oil, canola oil, food items having preservatives and sweeteners. Unhealthy drinks such as alcohol, beer, sugar mixed drinks, soda, juices, etc. Apart from these, baked goods, spaghetti, noodles, whole-wheat bread, grain and grain products, high carb fruits like banana, citrus fruits, etc., starchy vegetables, beans, high carb sauces, sweets, etc should be strictly avoided.
A step towards health
Based on the above food items, you can make a diet plan for yourself. You may also consult a dietician who can help you as per your needs. Remember, in a healthy body resides a healthy mind.