- After reports of hospitalizations and deaths among people using nitrite poppers, the Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about these products.
- Poppers are sold at adult novelty stores or online, and may be marketed as air freshener, vinyl cleaner, or nail polish remover.
- Some people ingest or inhale these products to get high or to enhance their sexual experience.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to purchase or use nitrite poppers because they can cause serious health problems, including death, when inhaled or ingested.
Poppers are sold at adult novelty stores or online, and may be marketed as air freshener, vinyl cleaner, or nail polish remover. But some people ingest or inhale these products to get high or to enhance their sexual experience.
These products are sold under brand names such as Jungle Juice, Extreme Formula, HardWare, Quick Silver, Super RUSH, Super RUSH Nail Polish Remover, and Premium Ironhorse.
The FDA issued its warning because it has noticed an increase in reports of hospitalizations and deaths after inhalation or ingestion of nitrite poppers.
This includes health problems such as dizziness, severe headaches, increases in body temperature, difficulty breathing, dangerous decreases in blood pressure, issues with the oxygenation of the blood (methemoglobinemia), and brain death.
The FDA recommends against use of nitrite poppers for recreational purposes or sexual enhancement.
These products “should not be ingested or inhaled unless specified/prescribed by a healthcare provider,” the FDA said in a statementTrusted Source.
If you experience any health problems after using these products, the FDA said you should seek medical care immediately.
Nitrite poppers can cause severe health problems
Poppers contain a class of compounds called alkyl nitrites, such as amyl nitrite and isobutyl nitrite, which are liquids that evaporate at room temperature.